1. Live simply and delibertaely. Avoid getting caught up in the details of this fast-paced world. Remember that the world is both good and bad. It's neither one or the other, but both.
2. Stay in touch with yourself. Soul searching, meditation and journaling are a few of the activities you can participate in to stay aware and learn as much as you can about your emotional life e.g., likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. Developing a solid sense of who you are provides you with a firm foundation for navigating life's rough patches as well as its smooth ones.
3. Support or teach others as often as you can. Provide service. This reduces isolation and restores your humanity. It's your opportunity not only to enrich yourself, but to make the world a better place for others, too.
4. Consciously choose what or with whom you will permit into your life. Do your best to stave off negativity. Try not to allow it to dominate your world vision. Remember all the goodness and kindness there is in humanity.
5. Be aware of the beauty around you. No matter where you may live, there are natural and manmade wonders for us to marvel. Remember, beauty is healing and restorative.
6. Nurture your connections and ties to your family or friends or community. Modern life can be isolating. When you have a social network, you are never along. It provides support, caring, guidance and companionship.
7. Broaden your perspective on life. Keep in mind that the way you choose to live your life is not the only way to live one's life. Exercise tolerance.
8. Embrace the challenges that life presents to you and challenge yourself often. Remember that they are just an opportunity for growth and expansion.
9. Stay curious. Hold on to your sense of wonderment and life will never be boring.
10. As the Buddha says, "keep moving". Do not fall prey to a sedentary life. Movement reaquaints us with our bodies and connects us to the earth in a visceral way. It also restores our vitality and has a positive effect on our mood and demeanor.
11. Be still. Be silent. Engage in solitude. We are often 'on the go' and unable to relax or sleep or decompress. Seek out a peaceful and safe place where you can take time to reflect and compose yourself.
Don't try and do all of these at once. Rather, practice one per day or week or whatever works for you and keeps you balanced.